In this post I am gonna share with you, how to prepare massage oil at home to get rid of stiff neck muscles. This is very easy to make DIY Massage Oil for stiff neck with only 4 ingredients, usually available at home; but its very effective.
I have also shared another massage oil recipe which is good to fight with cold, especially for babies. But today’s recipe is specially for stiff neck muscles.
Let me tell you a short story behind me preparing this massage oil. We means me and Pranaw (my dear husband) both are very fond of Pranayama and Yoga. We used to do lots of yogasanas regularly before our angel was borne but after that I could not join him, because of all the schedule disturbing factors come along with newborn 🙂 like waking up in nights for nursing, baby getting up early and need your attention so you cannot sit quietly and do Pranayama or Yogasanas.
Pranaw was practicing it regularly, one day he was doing head stand and that time only our angel went near him with all her curiosity; what papa is doing and why is he looking upside down 🙂 But because of she coming near to him, he lost his balance and landed on ground with a jerk which is very bad for body when you are practicing any asanas.
Immediately after that he got very severe pain at a point where neck and shoulders meet. Then the problem went on raising. He suffered from severe pain for more than one and half years, the pain was not at one place and it was making him difficult to live normal life. We consulted lots of doctors, did MRI scan and the conclusion was- an initial stage of cervical. We both were very disturbed because as I mentioned before we were been practicing Pranayama & Yogasanas for years and then also he got this problem, which was making us frustrated and developing doubts on all health norms that we hear.
Then with some reference we came to know about Arya Vaidya Sala, Kottakkal, its an ancient ayurvedic treatment center at Kerala, India. We were pleased to know that they have two branches at Bahrain. So we went there but to be frank, we didn’t have any hopes, by that time we had tried everything we could and really got disappointment with allopathy medicines and lots of physiotherapy treatments. But we had not given up and I am proud of Pranaw, who is a fighter.
We met Dr. Ravi Kumar there and in first few minutes only we got surprised with his expertise. He listened to Pranaw first, then checked Pranaw and pressed some points on his back which were exactly the points where he had pain. He said firmly that this problem is not because head stand but it is because of his years of bad sitting posture. Head stand and jerk had just triggered the problem. Pranaw is a software engineer and have been working for almost 10 years, in front of the computer 8-9 hrs or more daily. So this was the accumulated problem of more than 10 years which his body was fighting and tried best to keep problem under control.
Doctor continued saying that this has become, a very common problem in today’s world where working in front of computer is no more a job but part of our life. Over a period of time, because of seeing the screen for long duration in same posture our neck muscles become stiff. They loose stretching ability and cause pain. This problem is called as stiff neck.
He prescribed some ayurvedic medicines and some massage sessions, after completion of that course Pranaw’s problem was reduced by almost 90% (in Pranaw’s words, I really don’t know how he takes out this percentage 🙂 but I am happy because his pain has reduced drastically). Sometimes in cold days or if he does some heavy lifting work he gets some pain, which doctor said, is normal because it will take some time for body to recover fully. But otherwise he is fine and not struggling to do his daily routine.
So after all these things our belief on age old Pranayama and Yoga is back but along with that we have started studying some home made remedies to get rid of pain. I found a very good book on Custom Massage Therapy Oils: A DIY Guide to Therapeutic Recipes for Homemade Massage Oils, this book has very easy yet very effective DIY massage oil recipes with some really good information about massage.
During that research only we found this homemade massage oil recipe. This has worked effectively on Pranaw’s stiff neck but also on my leg pain, so the conclusion is this massage oil is effective for all types of muscle pains. 🙂
Easy DIY Massage Oil Recipe for Stiff Neck-
- 100ml sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Peeled and chopped ginger (adrakh)
- 3 tbsp Peeled and chopped garlic (lahsoon)
- 2 tbsp Carom seeds (ajwain)
- Dark color glass bottle of 100ml capacity
- Peel and chop the ginger.
- Peel and chop the garlic.
- Take thick bottomed pot or a thick bottomed pan. keep it on the low heat.
- Pour 100ml sesame oil in sauce pan.
- On medium heat let oil to warm. Then add ginger, garlic and carom seeds carefully.
- Keep heat on medium and let oil start boiling.
- After sometime the boiling bubbles will settle down and you will notice ginger, garlic turning brown.
- Switch off the stove and let oil cool down to room temperature.
- In mean time, make preparation for storage of the massage oil. Take 100 ml capacity glass bottle, dark color is preferable.
- Strain the oil in dark color glass bottle.
- Close the spout.
- Your massage oil is ready to use.
- Don’t discard the strained out ginger, garlic and carom seeds, but grind it in grinder to a paste. As it contents oil it will get grind easily to paste.
- This treatment is good for less pain or as a helping aid along with your medication, but do consult expert if pain is more or exists for long period of time.
How to make Easy DIY Massage Oil for Stiff Neck-
1. Collect the ingredients- 100 ml sesame oil, ginger, garlic and carom seeds.
2. Peel and chop 2 tbsp ginger.
3. Peel and chop 3 tbsp garlic.
4. Take thick bottomed pot or a thick bottomed pan. keep it on the low heat.
5. Pour 100 ml sesame oil in sauce pan.
6. On medium heat let oil to warm. Then add ginger, garlic and 2 tbsp carom seeds carefully.
7. Keep heat on medium and let oil start boiling.
After few minutes-
8. After sometime the boiling bubbles will settle down and you will notice ginger, garlic turning brown.
9. Switch off the stove and let the oil cool down to room temperature.
10. In mean time, make preparation for storage of the massage oil. Take 100 ml capacity glass bottle, dark color is preferable.
11. Strain the oil in dark color glass bottle.
12. Close the spout.
13. Your massage oil is ready to use.
14. Don’t discard the strained out ginger, garlic and carom seeds, but grind it in grinder to a paste. As it contents oil it will get grind easily to paste.
How to use massage oil-
- First use the ground paste. Gently apply it on neck and shoulders, leave for half an hour then take warm water bath. This paste remains good for few weeks, no need to refrigerate it.
- Before using oil, take a mug full of hot water, dip the oil bottle in mug for few minutes, if water cools down, change the water with hot water and dip bottle again. Alternately you can keep the bottle under hot running tap water for few minutes. The oil inside should be lukewarm before applying.
- Pour some oil over neck and gently spread it over neck and shoulders. Leave it for half an hour.
- Wipe it out with towel dipped in warm water after half an hour.
- Never apply cold water on neck, always make it lukewarm.
- Never massage when you have more pain, just gently spread oil over the neck and shoulders and leave it for half and hour.
- If pain is not more then massage only with fingers so that blood circulation will increase but don’t do it with pressure nor over do it.
Remember: This treatment is good for less pain or as a helping aid along with your medication, but do consult expert if pain is more or exists for long period of time.
I hope this Massage oil for stiff neck will help you too as it has helped us. Let me know your experience.
(Note: Some links in this post are affiliate links. Read our Policies, Disclosures and Disclaimers)