Yes! You read it right. This shawl needs only two days and it is ready. 🙂
Today, I am posting how to crochet a very easy shawl or stole. This shawl is so easy that anyone and everyone can do it with very basic knowledge of the crochet and you will have very attractive shawl. If you are a beginner then you should try this shawl as it will boost your confidence of crocheting and you will be proud of your first work. And if you are an expert then also you should try this as it is a must have accessory of your winter collections.
This shawl goes very well with any outfit. This could be a classic example of how a simple home made shawl can take your appearance to a different level altogether.
I had noticed this shawl pattern while travelling in a train from my home town Belgaum to garden city Bangalore. One cute baby was swaddled in the shawl. Initially I felt it is bought from market however when I paid little attention to it; to my surprise, this beautiful shawl was hand crocheted. I quickly jotted down the pattern on a piece of paper and worked on it when got chance and right combination of yarn.
I am giving a full size shawl for adult. You can reduce the repetitions if doing for baby or younger ones.
A tasseled fringe adds a smart edge to the stole but never ever consider if doing for baby shawl because it may go into baby’s mouth or nose.
Let us start Tri-color, triangular shawl/stole-
I am showing first few steps with the photos to make it easier for the beginners to understand. Intentionally I have used light color yarn so that you can see it clearly. Anyways, everything is given in detail below.
Start with Black color yarn; chain 4
3 double crochet in 4th chain; count from the hook , chain 2, 4 double crochet in same chain, chain 3 & turn
2 double crochet in first stitch [including 3 chain at the beginning it will look like 3 double crochet], 3 double crochet in next 3 stitches, *2 double crochet, chain 2, 2 double crochet in 2 chain below* (is referred as corner in next rows), 3 double crochet in next 3 stitches, 3 double crochet in last stitch, chain 3 turn. Totally 8 double crochet, chains 2, 8 double crochet
Next rows are also simple like this…
- 5 dc = 1" or 2.5 cm
- 2 rows = 1" or 2.5 cm
- Triangle base - 160 cm
- Triangle height - 80 cm
- Black color 4 ply yarn- 100 gm
- White color 4 ply yarn- 150 gm
- Grey color 4 ply yarn- 150 gm
- 4 mm crochet hook
- Start with black color yarn- ch 4
- Row 1- 3 dc in 4th ch; count from the hook, ch 2, 4 dc in same ch, ch 3 turn
- Row 2- 2 dc in first st [including 3 ch it will look like 3 dc], 3 dc in next 3 sts, *2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc in 2 ch below* (is referred as corner in next rows), 3 dc in next 3 sts, 3 dc in last st, ch 3 turn. Totally 8 dc, ch 2, 8 dc
- Row 3- Connect grey color yarn. ch 3, 2 dc in first st, 1 dc in each st till corner, corner, again 1 dc in each st till end, 3 dc in last st, ch 3 turn
- Row 4- 1 dc in first st, *ch 1, sk 1 st, 1 dc* repeat *to* till corner then crochet corner and repeat again *to* till end, 2 dc in last st, ch 3 turn
- Row 5- 2 dc in first st, 1 dc in next each ch and st, corner, again 1 dc in next each ch and st, 3 dc in last st
- Row 6- Connect black color yarn. ch 3, 1 dc in fist st, 1 dc in next each st till corner, corner, 1 dc in next each st till end, 2 dc in last st
- Row 7, 8 & 9- Connect white color yarn and crochet same as Row 3, 4 & 5 respectively
- Row 10- Connect black color yarn. Repeat Row 6
- Repeat Row 3 to 10, 5 more times
- Then repeat Row 3 to 6 one time. This completes the triangular portion.
- Top strip- Connect white color yarn. Ch 3, 2 dc in each horizontal st and 1 dc in ch, complete the row like this
- Next connect grey color yarn and crochet full row with dc
- Last row, connect black color yarn and crochet full row with dc
- Cut 30 cm long yarn strands of all three colors.
- Take one strand of each color, fold half and with hook draw the folded end through one stitch in the stole edge
- Draw yarn ends through the loop and pull to tighten it
- The finished length is 12 to 13 cm
- 1.Every time when yarn is changed to different color; insert hook in only one loop of the stich below, it gives nice line of below color yarn
- 2.Never add tassel fringe if done for baby
Chart / Diagram
Some people find it easy to crochet with chart or diagram, so here is the diagram of first 10 rows which are repeated.
The Finished Tri-color, triangular shawl/stole will look like this-
Now it's your turn to SHARE THIS & Spread the joy of CREATIVITY